It is believed that the Apache Indian migrated to the Southwest from Northern Canada in the year 1500’s as stated in the Anglo theory. However, Apache Indian history states that most of the tribe migrated to the North and some stayed on their Native land. By the end of 1600’s, about 5,000 Apaches lived in the Southwest part of the country. They occupy the mountains of New Mexico, Southern Arizona, and also in Mexico.
● The word “Apache” is coined from the Yuma word, which means “fighting-men” and from the Zuni word, which means “enemy”.
● The Apache is made up of six subtribes: the Mescalero, Lipan, Kiowa, Chiricahua, Jicarilla, and Western Apache.
● Men of the tribe wear leggings, mocassins and deerskin shirts.
● Women of the tribe wear high boot, top mocassins and short deerskin skirts.
● Similar with the Navajo tribe, they consider the insects, birds and coyotes as having been human beings.